Friday, June 21, 2013

1st Day of Summer

Quick and Easy Method for Freezing Fresh Corn-on-the-Cob

Happy 1st Day of Summer Everyone,

I guess you can tell by the title of this blog today what I've been doing.
My husband surprised me this afternoon with a basket full of fresh corn on the cob
from his garden.  He and his cousin have a combined garden at the farm where he
works.  They are getting a very good harvest this year due to the blessing of plenty
of rain at the right times and that they planted early this year.

So, I thought that I could teach everyone how to easily put fresh corn on the cob in
your freezer.  Believe me when I say that there is nothing better (except fresh tomatoes,
more on that later) than fresh corn on the cob in the middle of winter.  If you aren't
lucky enough to have a vegetable garden, then visit your local Farmers Market and
buy several ears.  It is worth the investment.

So let me show you how easy this is!

You will need the following items:

Large pan for boiling water.  (I use a large spaghetti pan)
Tongs
Two large bowls filled with water and ice. 
Very clean kitchen towels to drain the corn on.
Quart size or Gallon size Freezer bags depending on the size of your family.

That's it for the supply list!

Ok, lets get started.

Shuck the husk from the corn and remove as much of the silk that you can.
You can at this point break the ears in half if you choose.

Now get your water boiling and place several ears in the water.
Rule of thumb:
small ear- boil 7 minutes
medium ear - boil 9 minutes
large ear - boil 11 minutes




Once they have boiled the proper time, remove them from the water and transfer
directly to the ice bath to stop the cooking.  Note: (You can use the same boiling
water for up to five batches).  Next, let them sit in the ice bath the same number
of minutes that they boiled. Be sure that each batch of corn has plenty of ice in the
baths.  I always add ice back to the bowls after each cycle of boiled corn.


Once they have chilled the proper time, remove them from the ice bath and place
them on clean kitchen towels to drain.  It is important to let them dry somewhat
before putting them in the storage bags. This cuts down on the risk of freezer burn.


Once they have dried, place them into storage bags. Remove as much air as possible
before closing the bag.


Now when you are ready for some fresh corn on the cob, just grab a bag from your
freezer.  You can microwave them for 2 - 3 minutes each or boil them on the stove top 4
- 5 minutes.  Really you are just heating them up because you have already cooked them.

I am thinking that in the dead of winter, when I grab a bag to heat up that "It's
Time Has Come" to remind me of how beautiful our changing seasons are and how
each season brings something wonderful to our lives!  It sure is nice though to be able
to grab a season back from time to time!

Let me know if you try this!  You won't regret it!!

...and here is a tease of an upcoming post:  Home Grown Tomatoes!!!



XOXOXOXO
Sandra






9 comments:

  1. Love your new blog, your ideas, creativity and writing style! Well done, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Donna! You should start a photography blog!
    I may have to call on for some tips because I love all of your
    pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Would you believe I have had a web presence for years and years? Well, I have! :)

      I learned to create web graphics a long time ago and made a couple of free sites and then finally purchased my own domain where I share mostly photos now, a silly thing or two ever now and again and occasionally, any new graphics I made.

      I haven't created a web following, I'm just not that interesting! But! I have had fun and I still learn stuff all the time and at my age, learning is a good thing! I do have a few tutorials I made about using my graphic software of choice and I do get hits on those.

      Check out donnaboykin.com sometime when you have the time.

      Keep on with what you are doing here, it's fantastic!

      Delete
    2. Alright, so glad to know this Donna. I will be happy to promote your domain on my blog. Is that ok with you? Can't wait to follow your tutorials!

      Delete
    3. Oh and by the way, I think you are very interesting and I know others think so, too!

      Delete
  3. Oh, my gosh, Donna, donnaboykin.com is amazing! There are not ENOUGH words for your photographs! I would so love for to take some photography lessons from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! I would love for you to link to my blog and I'll definitely return the favor! You know I have always liked to take photos, but finally took the class offered at the library to learn how to use my camera in manual mode. I'm so glad I did! Wanda will be offering another class this fall, if you're interested in learning more, you might consider the class. You should also come to our photo club meetings, the first Tuesday of each month. We have a lot of fun, we learn from each other there too.

      Delete
  4. I think this is wonderful Sandra! You have a way with words and I am loving the subject matter. Can't wait to hear what you are going to teach me about tomatoes.....Till the next post....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Happy Heart! Please stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete